This is a quick activity to promote thinking out of the box and utilizing current resources to the max.
- Issue 6 toothpicks for each participant
- Challenge them to create 4 triangles with the toothpicks
- You will probably hear a complaint that they need more toothpicks (resources)
- Stress that these are the only resources you can give and they have to find ways to use what they have
- The answer is simply to make a 3D pyramid with the six toothpicks, then you will have three standing triangles and one base triangle.
Debrief further on the importance of problem solving skills, creativity and innovation to work with the sometimes limited resources we have.