Activity- Communication skills - Power of body language
Body language speaks louder than any words you can ever utter. Whether you’re telling people that you love them, you’re angry with them, or don’t care less about them, your body movements reveal your thoughts, moods, and attitudes. Both consciously and sub-consciously your body tells observers what’s really going on with you.
Time / 10 minutes
Instructions and set up
1. Explain to the group that you are going to give them a series of instructions, which you would like them to copy as fast as they can
2. State the following actions as YOU do them:
• Put your hand to your nose
• Clap your hands
• Stand up
• Touch your shoulder
• Sit down
• Stamp your foot
• Cross your arms
• Put your hand to your mouth – BUT WHILE SAYING THIS PUT YOUR HAND TO YOUR NOSE
3. Observe the number of group members who copy what you did rather than what you said.
What's the point from this activity?
Facilitate discussion on how body language can reinforce verbal communication, however it can also be stronger than verbal communication – it is important that we are aware of our body language in order to ensure we are projecting the right message.