Activity- communication skills- Square talk
This is a challenging activity where participants are all blindfolded and receive instructions from the trainer that should be strictly followed, the exercise enables participants to recognise the importance of communicating effectively, and understand the important aspects of communication.
One blindfold per participant , one long rope per sub group
Time /25 minutes
Directions and setup
• Divide the group into sub-groups of ideally 5. If this is not possible, some delegates can be given 2 pieces of information, or some the same information, ensuring all information is communicated (NB The minimum number of participants required for the activity is 3)
• Clear the room as far as is practicable
• Blindfold each delegate and verbally communicate the objective of the activity
• Disorientate each delegate individually, hand them the rope and subtly give them their individual information
• Be aware of time and inform delegates when they have 5 minutes of the 25 minutes left
Verbally communicate the following to the whole group, once they are blindfolded:-
The objective of the activity is to make a square from a rope. ( Stand to form a square shape )
The following information should be verbally communicated to delegates individually, as they are handed the rope.
Participant A : All team members are blindfolded and must remain so for the duration of the activity.
Participant B : The rope you are holding is approximately ____ foot in length.
Participant C : The rope you are holding is knotted together to form a circle; it must not be undone.
Participant D : You must not let go of the rope.
Participant E : You will be told when you have 5 minutes of your 20 minutes left.
Discuss with the group how they felt the activity went, giving feedback using the following Review Questions
1. Do you feel as a group you communicated effectively?
2. During the Activity, what communication skills did you use effectively?
3. During the activity, what communication skills could you have used to improve performance?
4. How important is communication in the workplace? Why?
5. What key points have you learned about communication from this activity, that you wish to apply in the workplace?
What's the point from this activity?
This tough challenging activity reinforces the importance of being able to communicate effectively with other team members while being blindfolded. It requires strong teamwork and planning as well as efficient use of all possible communication skills the team has to succeed in forming a square while blindfolded.